which compilers do we want to support with KDE 4 ?

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Sat Jan 28 00:17:13 GMT 2006

On Saturday 28 January 2006 01:20, Mirko Boehm wrote:
> On Saturday 28 January 2006 00:07, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Friday 27 January 2006 22:24, you wrote:
> > > I would interpretthe result the differently: 88% of the developers do
> > > not want to support any compiler older than 3.4. Seems like a clear
> > > vote to me.
> >
> > Yes, for me too.
> > 11% of developers is a significant share.
>
> Make 9 developers work with outdated tools because one wants it?

Good spin. This isn't about forcing people (developers) to use one particular
gcc version, it's about _officially supporting_ said versions. Supporting
means accepting patches to the codebase that have justification "doesn't
compile with gcc version X" from those developers that have version X. This
is how gcc 2.95 support in KDE 3 has worked -- there's maybe a half dozen
people who use gcc 2.95 (Stefan Teleman? the FreeBSD team when doing
packaging for 4-LEGACY, which is EOL'ed this year?) and that has meant a fair
number of commits that keep things working with gcc 2.95.

Alternatively, might I suggest supporting only gcc 4? That will immediately
drive away most non-Linux developers, probably most Deb-heads as well, and
you can get right down to realizing the Linux desktop.

From the FreeBSD camp, BTW, only compilers 3.4.2 and newer need to be
considered, since 5-STABLE and later (the OS versions supported by the team)
use that gcc or later.

--
As of September 1st, 2004, the University of Nijmegen will _still_ be the
University of Nijmegen, but with a different nonsensical adjective in front.