kdevelop (Re: Proposal to plan for "Milestone Releases" on the way to KDE4)

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Fri Jan 27 22:37:41 GMT 2006

On Thursday 26 January 2006 09:27, Dominik Haumann wrote:
> We changed it due to a request of a user. If you and others - or better the
> majority - find the old behavior better (insert "", '', {}, (), []) we
> should revert it. The problem is in general how to say what's the best, due
> to _lack of feedback_, which raises the question: _How_ to get good
> feedback?

I can't even begin to describe how annoyed I get by code that automatically
tries to fill in little things like extra spaces or braces.  That's also one
of my complaints with Quanta:  It will automatically complete a </html> tag,
but it would either: 1. Advance the cursor to the end and make me go back, or
2. Leave the cursor in the middle so I could fill in the tag, but then I
would have to move the cursor again to avoid overwriting the inserted end
tag.

It's even worse with editors that auto-fill spaces and such, because it's just
so unexpected.  I would maybe understand if it were something that ALWAYS had
to be inserted anyways.  But using ( ) as an example, often times I don't
want that extra space.  i.e., even if I were coding like this: if( foo() ), I
wouldn't want something like this: if( ( i + 3 ) < 4 ), I understand it
better like this: if( (i + 3) < 4 ).

But that's just me.  Trying to do it so that it makes everyone happy is
probably a losing battle, and I understand that.  But I've always found it
easier to my workflow to manually add spaces than to see text pop up all of a
sudden and have to stop what I'm doing to fix it.  Because then I have to try
and focus again on what I was up to.

As far as that Quanta thing goes, I think perfection would be auto-filling the
last non-filled tag and advancing the cursor past when hitting a key
shortcut, just as in lots of IDEs, vim, and emacs.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne