kdevelop (Re: Proposal to plan for "Milestone Releases" on the way to KDE4)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau Friedrich.W.H at kossebau.de
Fri Jan 27 18:04:05 GMT 2006

Am Freitag, 27. Januar 2006 06:18, schrieb Waldo Bastian:
> On Thursday 26 January 2006 12:17, David Faure wrote:
> > I agree with Guillaume. Windows developers have IDEs to choose from
> > already. On the other hand I'm currently doing Qt training to a company
> > who uses Qt on Windows and is thinking about starting to develop some
> > stuff on Linux, and they obviously need a good IDE on Linux - that's
> > where KDevelop fits in. KDevelop has to be the best IDE on Unix systems,
> > since it really fills a gap there. The Windows developers have everything
> > they need on Windows already, but if they want to switch to Unix, then
> > they need a good IDE on Unix; if we provide them with that, we might end
> > up with more KDE developers :)
>
> Another option is to make Eclipse work really well for KDE development.

IMHO this a nogo:
It would be a give-in that KDE doesn't deliver a usefull framework. Which
is/should not be true. After all it is the mission of KDE to deliver _the_
environment, isn't it? For our (free) desktop. And so our tasks. Such as
developing. Thus also developing environments.

My greatest wish for KDevelop:
Please go on your choosen road and enhance the general framework, then marry
it with virtual desktops (aka kwin) and the session manager. That would be
the perfect solution in my eyes. :)

Regards
Friedrich