Proposal to plan for "Milestone Releases" on the way to KDE4

Gábor Lehel illissius at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 13:35:36 GMT 2006

On 1/27/06, Benjamin Meyer <ben at meyerhome.net> wrote:
> I'm afraid that pretty soon Kate may really be the KDE developer's preferred
> graphical IDE
>   - Michael Pyne
>
> I doubt you are the first to say that, but i'll credit you for the quote.  I
> know there are lots of people who code with Kate.  Kate with a split view for
> a konsole on the bottom and a file manager on the left is a fantastic "ide".
> I have even introduced several windows developers to linux with this and they
> all loved it.  It is simple, but very powerfull.

This is how I'm using it now; also add the incremental search plugin
to the above list ;). There's really only two things that
significantly annoy me about Kate: the file selector pane behaves as
if you always had shift held, which causes me to open files I didn't
want or miss opening ones I did a bit too often; and when I do
ctrl-delete, I'd prefer it to delete *only* whitespace, and not
punctuation characters in addition. (This was the cause of a bug once;
I was cleaning up a function, ctrl-deleting the beginning of an if
statement, when, to my annoyance it ended up deleting past the opening
parantheses as well -- so I typed it back, but as it later turned out,
I forgot the ! at the beginning which it had also deleted.)
Having quick shortcuts for make, make install, run, et al, and being
able to double click an error message to be taken to its source, a la
KDevelop, are also nifty, but I can live without these (the konsole
part and ctrl-g go-to-line suffice well enough).

Speaking of KDevelop: I notice there are no less than four seperate
panes on the left for opening files. Couldn't this number be reduced;
to, perhaps, one? :)