Proposal to plan for "Milestone Releases" on the way to KDE4

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Thu Jan 26 12:54:17 GMT 2006

On Thursday 26 January 2006 01:08, Zack Rusin wrote:
> Short of what David just point out. I've been talking to Simon who's an
> avid vi user (with me being of course emacs fan) why we don't use
> KDevelop and one thing that we were both coming back to is: no mouse
> usage. Especially for file selection. In emacs I do C-x C-b or C-x C-f
> and bam i have a new file open I never move my hands from the keyboard.
> I don't tabify through billion of widgets. Quickopen is getting there
> but not near enough.

Well, in kate i tend to press c-m (which opens the built in terminal in my
case) and just type 'kate <file>' using the shell completion to fill in
<file>. With the fixes in Kate 2.5.1 this works if you add something in this
spirit to your ~/.bashrc:

# If we are running in a konsole in kate,
# $KATE_PID is the pid of that kate application instance.
if [ -n "$KATE_PID" ] ; then
  alias katen="`which kate`"
  alias kate="kate -u -p $KATE_PID"
fi

I also implemented opening files in kate's own command line - with the file
completion provided by KDE, but that have not been committed so far, and it
should be provided by the application, since opening in katepart will close
the file currently in the view. If anyone is interrested i can dig up the
code.

-anders
--
www: http://alweb.dk