kdevelop features ( Re: Proposal to plan for "Milestone Releases" on the way to KDE4 )

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Thu Jan 26 20:13:31 GMT 2006

On Thursday 26 January 2006 09:13, Carsten Niehaus wrote:
> ,i       <-- Add includeguards in the .h-file

As soon as KDevelop has some (simple) DCOP calls it will be possible to
do it. In Quanta you can already do, but I suggest nobody to use Quanta
for C++ development. See the attached file. KDevelop would need a way
to provide the current file name and the current katepart buffer
number. Providing the PID will be possible as I already ported most of
the user action code from Quanta to KDevelop, so it will be possible to
execute external scripts which modify the opened document.

> ,d      <-- Add a kdDebug() call like this:
>
> void Foo::bar( const QString& buff )
> {
> 	kdDebug() << "Foo::Bar()" << endl;
> }

Same here, KDevelop would need to provide a DCOP call with the name of
the current method. It already has the information, so it is not hard
to do.

For both of the above the alternative could be intelligent code snippets
(abbreviations).

> ,h      <-- Switch between .h and .cpp-file

Shift-F12. If it find, switched to corresponding
declaration/implementation. Unfortunately since some time Shift-F12
does not work on my system, but if I assign another shortcut it works.

> ,c      <-- comment the current line of code with //X
> ,u      <-- uncomment the current line of code

CTRL-D and CTRL-SHIFT-D. It is provided by the kate part.

> The two last work also on codeblocks, of course.

It works.

> Ok, pure vim features:
>
> ==          indent
CTRL-I, CTRL-SHIFT-I

> =%         indent the codeblock (eg from { to }  )
Here you have to select first and use the above shortcuts.

> gg=G      indent the whole file
CTRL-A and the above shortcuts.

> c$            remove to the end of the line and change to insert mode
SHIFT-END and DEL. Insert mode is default. ;-)

> c}	remove the rest of the method and change to insert mode
I don't know anything similar to it.

> C-v	Blockediting (I was once told kate can also do blockediting, but
> I never found out how...)

Block selection mode is activated by CTRL-SHIFT-B if that is what you
mean.

> Macros are very easy to do
>
> dd	Remove current line
CTRL-K

> C-z make		Go back on the shell and start make (actually, key-up will
> always have "unsermake -p" so it is "ctrl-z,key-up,enter" (and yes, I
> know about :make and :set makeprg=unsermake)
F8

> Oh, one thing that vim will never be good at: good integration of
> Valgrind and gdb. If you'd integrate them in kdevelop in way that
> even I understand valgrind and gdb I would at least use it for that.

I haven't used valgrind from KDevelop, but I used gdb a lot. What is
wrong with it?

As I see many features are already there (of course, somewhat different)
and most of the others can be implemented relative easily.

Andras