kdevelop (Re: Proposal to plan for "Milestone Releases" on the way to KDE4)

Jaison Lee lee.jaison at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 00:02:50 GMT 2006

> On Thursday 26 January 2006 00:40, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> > I've been watching at core KDE developers for three years. They still use
> > vi (emacs). Why? Looks like KDevelop doesn't have clear benefits as
> > a development tool for them. This is, of course my opinion and I'd really
> > like to hear from KDE developers what they think is wrong in KDevelop.

I think it's just a target audience problem. I've found that most *nix
coders simply don't like to use IDEs, no matter how good the IDE may
be. I count myself as one of those. I've honed my development style
over 2 decades and everything I need to do can be accomplished without
an IDE. I've tried KDevelop and it seemed OK (altho I had lots of
trouble importing my old projects) but it just didn't do anything that
I needed and couldn't already do, and I balked at the loss of screen
space and resource overhead.

On the other hand, I've found that people who code for Windows simply
love the hell out of their IDEs, so I think that a KDE4 KDevelop
running on Windows will generate a *LOT* of enthusiasm. I'm sure
Visual Studio can't appeal to everyone. If I were the KDevelop team I
would put all my resources into getting it to run as well as possible
under Windows, and then go trolling for feedback from the huge new
user base. :)