which compilers do we want to support with KDE 4 ?

Jaison Lee lee.jaison at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 14:26:33 GMT 2006

IMO dropping 3.x completely is crazy. At the very least there is a
large body of Slackware users out there and Slackware likely won't see
gcc 4 for some time. (It's funny that way.) A lot of people still
don't trust 4.x, and feel somewhat strongly about it. I know 3.3 is
working fine right now so I see no reason to drop it just to be
dificult. If 3.2 has become broken in an unfixable way then that is as
early as I feel should be dropped.

The reality as I see it is that if we expect KDE4 to be cross-platform
we're going to have to deal with all sorts of compilers. Sooner or
later someone is probably going to try and build KDE with OpenWatcom.
We should get used to things now.