which compilers do we want to support with KDE 4 ?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Jan 21 19:08:25 GMT 2006

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>But *this* discussion isn't about distros in a year -- its about what
>compiler versions KDE4 developers should use now for KDE4 development,
>and how this will influence what big or small a zoo of compiler versions
>everybody (users, developers, maintainers, packagers...) will be having
>to handle in the future.

I think it's pretty much settled that gcc 4.x and 3.4 are to be supported
anyways. That's not up for discussion.

gcc 3.0 and 3.1 are known to generate buggy C++ code. We should not
support them.

gcc 2.95 is now very old and KDE 3.x still supports it. However, given
discussions some time ago we had concluded we were not going to support
it if things became difficult to do so.

So now we just have to decide if we should support gcc 3.2 and 3.3. We
know gcc 3.2 can't compile some of the code that is present in *current*
trunk.

For gcc 3.2, it's easy: can the khtml folk modify the Apple code so that
it builds on gcc 3.2? If they can't or are not willing to, or if Apple
won't accept the changes back, it's settled: gcc 3.2 is not supported.

As for gcc 3.3, if it compiles KDE cleanly, I see no reason to not support
it.

PS: does 2.95 still build trunk?

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

1. On frumscafte, hwonne time_t wæs náht, se scieppend þone circolwyrde
wundorcræftlíge cennede and seo eorðe wæs idel and hit wæs gód.