which compilers do we want to support with KDE 4 ?

Joseph Wenninger jowenn at kde.org
Sat Jan 21 16:59:37 GMT 2006

Hi !

I think we should support those compilers used by the new LSB standard and the
newest stable GCC available. (Even debian sarge has  support for gcc 3.4
(although you have to modify the qt spec files if you want to use it in
parallel to the 3.3 version). I don't think it makes sense to write ugly code
or spread our resources to support hundreds (if you count all the
distribution patched ones) of gcc versions.

I think it is clear for everybody, why we should support the LSB compliant
gcc.
The reason why also try to always support the newest one (in case code there
breaks, which worked with older version) is that KDE 4 has a long way to go
till it is released and I don't think that at that point there will be many
users with a gcc less than 3.4.
I guess if KDE 4 is released, it will have a quite a long  lifecycle, as the
2.x and 3.x releases had, so it is more important to write standard compliant
code, since we most probably will encounter many more gcc major releases,
which will possibly remove more old legacy support. --> We should try to keep
our code nice, readable and clean looking into hte future with the tradeoff
of not supporting older gccs (older means <3.4)

What is more important is that we try to support more compilers, especially on
platforms where gcc is not available or the best choice. I think this is more
important than supporting old gcc versions.

Kind regards
Joseph Wenninger