which compilers do we want to support with KDE 4 ?

Guillaume Laurent glaurent at telegraph-road.org
Sat Jan 21 11:58:49 GMT 2006

On Saturday 21 January 2006 11:58, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Saturday 21 January 2006 11:32, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > Do we want to support gcc < 3.4 for KDE 4 ?
>
> The higher you put the limit the lesser developers you will get. (And it is
> not that we have plenty of developers everywhere in KDE.)

It's not that obvious. Upgrading one's compiler is a one-shot thing which most
distributions handle rather well. On the other hand, supporting "old"
compilers means a lot of wasted developer time, and in a continuous way.
Also, by the time KDE4 comes out, gcc < 3.4 will be *much* less used than it
is today.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.telegraph-road.org