K-Menu, XDG menus and Kiosk woes

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Fri Jan 20 02:06:52 GMT 2006

Am Donnerstag, 19. Januar 2006 21:29 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> On Thursday 19 January 2006 17:03, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 04:41:28PM +0100, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> Does anyone know how GNOME reacted to "their" applications.menu ->
> gnome-applications.menu change?

Well, I would bet (but don't actually know, would be curious as well ... )
that they aren't very much affected:

- After all Gnome did not have an applications.menu before the
gnome-applications.menu was introduced. So they started with that and
therefore probably had no issues. KDE on the other hand has the
applications.menu at least since KDE 3.1 IIRC and therefore was affected
through updates and already available party-software (if you want to call
kde-gear software that way) which honored the specs.

- Additionally Gnome does not have a sophisticated Kiosk-System which is bound
to the xdg-menu specification so there shouldn't be any issues for them
either. KDE on the other hand has a sophisticated Kiosk system which worked
almost flawlessly up to the point where packagers pulled the plug.

For Gnome this decision by the packagers was a win, for KDE it is a loss-loss
imho.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards,

        Torsten Rahn

--
Dipl.-Phys. Torsten Rahn, credativ GmbH
Karl-Heinz-Beckurts-Str. 13, 52428 Jülich, Germany

http://www.credativ.com  - The Creative IT-Consultants
        Debian * PostgreSQL * Groupware * KDE