K-Menu, XDG menus and Kiosk woes

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Thu Jan 19 14:06:54 GMT 2006

Am Donnerstag, 19. Januar 2006 12:25 schrieb Jonathan Riddell:

> Here's the patch:
>
> http://muse.19inch.net/~jr/tmp/kubuntu_02_kmenu.diff

This patch will just help for _NEW_ KDE Profiles created with the _patched_
KDE-Kiosktool or for "handcrafted" profiles based on kde-applications.menu.

It won't help if you created Kiosk Profiles using KDE 3.3 and/or the Kiosktool
w/o the patch. So if you update from (<=) KDE 3.3 to KDE 3.4 or 3.5 you need
to rename the applications.menu to kde-applications.menu beforehand and only
then you can work on your profiles using the patched Kiosktool!

I personally find it a shame that distributions in this case deliberately
violate standards which were accepted by KDE as well as gnome already.
Even worse: they do it without mentioning.
They just put KDE into a bad light by doing so (because critical stuff won't
work afterwards on enterprise level).

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards,

        Torsten Rahn

--
Dipl.-Phys. Torsten Rahn, credativ GmbH
Karl-Heinz-Beckurts-Str. 13, 52428 Jülich, Germany

http://www.credativ.com  - The Creative IT-Consultants
        Debian * PostgreSQL * Groupware * KDE