Fwd: Re: [Kde-pim] KOrganizer upgrade to 3.5: Appointments Now Missing!

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Wed Jan 18 23:14:05 GMT 2006

Per the enclosed message... It would be nice to have a backup scheme that handled lost data somehow.
Ideas?
-Allen

Subject: Re: [Kde-pim] KOrganizer upgrade to 3.5: Appointments Now Missing!
Date: Wednesday 18 January 2006 18:07
From: Allen Winter <winter at kde.org>
To: KDE PIM <kde-pim at kde.org>

On Wednesday 18 January 2006 15:25, cosmolee at speakeasy.net wrote:

> I just upgraded my KOrganizer from 3.4 to 3.5. When I restarted KOrganizer, none of my appointments or To-Dos
> were there!
>
> Does 3.5 store data in a different place? What file do I look for to try to find my previous data?

Cosmo,

By default your local calendar is stored in $HOME/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics
One backup is kept for by KOrganizer in $HOME/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics~

If the backup exists, then run
% cp  $HOME/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics~ $HOME/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics

If both std.ics and std.ics~ are missing then ... you are out of luck unless you have a backup someplace
else that you can restore to $HOME/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics

Also, each time you run KOrganizer the backup std.ics~ file is overwritten, even if it is empty.
So this means that if you have re-run KOrganizer since your data got erased then your backup
will be erased also.  IOW: you might have lost your data even if the backup file exists.

Sorry this happened.  It would be nice to understand why and how if happened.

Regards,
Allen

--
Let's Keep the Political Talk Out of KDE PLEASE