kdirwatch infinite dirty emitting

Ryan p0z3r at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 16 22:52:58 GMT 2006

On Monday 16 January 2006 03:28, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Monday 16 January 2006 05:10, Ryan wrote:
> > It appears that the dirty() signal is now emitting repeatedly until
> > SuperKaramba crashes.
>
> KBabel's catalog manager has bug #119222, which seems to be the same kind
> of problem (especially when polling).
>
> > SuperKaramba uses kdirwatch to watch changes on a file.  When a change
> > occurs is fires its connected slot, which in our case causes SK to close
> > the theme and reload the theme with the new file changes.
> >
> > In our ctor is where we addFile and connect to the slot waiting for
> > dirty().
> >
> > I'm not sure why it keeps re-emitting the dirty() signal when we only
> > change the file once, and I figured that someone would have more
> > knowledge of kio than myself to look at this.
> >
> > I did notice a change recently on the 10th to kdirwatch.cpp, but I'm not
> > sure that it is related.  This used to work perfectly for the 3.5.0
> > release, but now in the last few weeks or so, this behavior has come
> > about.
> >
> > If you'd like to view our code, you can view
> > kdeutils/superkaramba/src/karamba.cpp to see how we use KDirWatch.
> >
> > Thanks for any insight into this.

I did find this interesting thread on a similar issue:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=108004193028061&w=2

Seems like there is a workaround by removing the file and re-adding it.  In SK
we don't remove the file from the watch at all.  I've not tried it yet, but I
will later tonight.

--
Ryan Nickell

Software Engineer by day, SuperKaramba developer by night.