KPasswordDialog / KPasswordEdit

Daniel Molkentin molkentin at kde.org
Sat Jan 14 15:47:41 GMT 2006

Hello lib cleaners and security paranoids,

Today I was looking through the TODO file as proposed by David and found the
following two entries:

- kpassdlg.h needs to be renamed to kpassworddialog.h - consistent with other
classes(it won't  break many apps). The class needs a facelift - see the
comments in kpassdlg.{h,cpp}
  (Frans)

- Replace KPasswordEdit with KLineEdit and adjust KPasswordDialog accordingly.
  (Waldo)

The first one happened already, thanks to Laurent. The second one is a bit
trickier and I need a bit of advise on the following points:

1) The class still uses char*. Probably the reasons is simply historic. I also
remember a discussion about QString not considered secure enough for this job
since QString's shared buffers are not drawn from non-swappable memory.
However, this is a non-argument as long as we keep using KLineEdits. I am
also not confident that KPasswordLineEdit (still) lives up to those
expectations (I didn't really audit the class since I feel not qualified in
any way). Still I think this whole discussion about non-shareable passwords
looked to me like securing the doors of a blown up house (I remember such a
statement from the original discussions).

Suggestion: Either get rid of char* use and ignore the problem as neglectable,
or find someone who audits this class properly for Qt 4. The silver bullet
would be to check what it takes to make QSharedData and thus QString to
use non-swapable memory, so we could just use QString or a derived class
to handle passwords and other sensitive data in the future.

2) KPasswordEdit has different kinds of echo modes. (no echo, one star, three
stars). I never used them. removing that "feature" would also allow to get
rid of one dedicated kcontrol module (!). Finally, it doesn't respect
QStyle::SH_LineEdit_PasswordCharacter for drawing the password chars,
but will simply print asterisks.

Suggestion: remove feature or move it to KLineEdit. What would you prefer?

3) I'd really like to get rid of KPasswordEdit, it's fairly old that has no
way of benefiting from the features in KLineEdit. Therefore I'd like to move
it into kde3support, decoupling KPasswordDialog from using it.

Cheers,
  Daniel