Small UI regression 3.5 branch?

Jaroslaw Staniek js at iidea.pl
Fri Jan 13 00:01:32 GMT 2006

David Faure said the following, On 2006-01-13 00:04:

> On Wednesday 11 January 2006 19:29, Knut Morten Johansson wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I have got what looks like a small UI regression in the 3.5 branch, I first
>>noticed at a SVN upgrade 27 dec(ok 10 days before), it's still present as of
>>today 11 jan. I'm not sure if it's a general problem or a problem with my
>>build, that's why I post it here rather than bugzilla. Hopfully someone can
>>confirm either way.
>>
>>It's in the statusbar in for instance konqueror, the icons get cropped and I
>>get a blank frame around the icons(Se atthached screenshot). The higlight
>>rectangle does not look correct either, but I'm not sure how it looked
>>before.
>

> This is a KURLLabel.
> The "Accessibility fix for KURLLabel" from Jaroslaw Staniek added a margin
> (hence the cropping) and a focus rect (which didn't use to be there either).
>
> Should we make those KURLLabel features optional?
> Or should we use something else in khtml's statusbar icon?
>   (the code is in KHTMLPart::setPageSecurity).
>
> On one hand I'd be tempted to say it's a bit weird to use KURLLabel for this,
> on the other hand, this is a change of behavior in a kdelibs class
> between 3.5 and 3.5.1, so if it's not for the better in all cases, maybe it needs
> to be settable or even off by default?

1. Looking at the screnshot, I am a bit surprised the buttons are created
using KURLLabel. Do these labels _should_ accept focus? In statusbar, I guess
it's not needed, so let's call setFocusPolicy(NoFocus). Maybe I've overlooked
something but I could not see underlined links there as well, only icons.
Eventually couldn't we set setMargin(0) for the labels?

2. Optional tweak: The areas look/work quite similar to Netscape/Mozilla (this
GUI do not let users a hint it's clickable, except a tooltip), hmm... maybe
now it's the time to change the label to, say, flat QToolButton/KPushButton,
with autoRaise(true)?
One benefit could be that this could stay visually the same as before but
could give a better hint that the area is clickable.

Anyway, I have some more fixes for KURLLabel (e.g. updating cursor), so let me
know if you want any behavioral tweak added by the way.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska

  Kexi Developer:      http://www.kexi-project.org | http://koffice.org/kexi
  Kexi Support:        http://www.kexi-project.org/support.html
  Kexi For MS Windows: http://kexi.pl/wiki/index.php/Kexi_for_MS_Windows
  KDE3, KDE4 Libraries For Developing MS Windows Applications:
                       http://www.kdelibs.com/wiki