Custom URI schemes & KDE

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Jan 6 00:56:08 GMT 2006

Frans Englich wrote:
>* I speak for URI solutions recommended by the URI community,
>which /impossibly/ can run into problems.
>
>* You pick up your crystal ball, starts predicting the future, and run
> your arguments for why cutting shortcuts won't lead to problems.
>
>I don't do the latter, I play safe. Especially in the case of KDE where
> things change radically from one day to another, and development can't
> be called very organized nor planned ahead, in my opinion.

Ok, let's see if we can compromise:

We use standard URNs and URIs for internal stuff, between an application
and its plugins, etc. We'll have to investigate where modifications are
necessary.

In special, note QUrl is, unlike KURL, a URL class. We need an URI/URN
class, which will probably be the new KUrl wrapper. (We can go ahead and
call it KUri).

Finally, let me emphasize this: user-visible and especially user-typed
protocols should NOT look "weird", despite being recommended or not. I
don't care if we do some trickery behind the scenes when we see
"media:/": we can see if media.protocol exists and, if not, try to load
tag:kde.org:media.protocol (or tag_kde.org_media.protocol, since : is not
valid on Win32).

One further note: if we do this, we'll require ALL of our protocols to be
"standardised" or be moved to a tag. One example is fish://: should we
keep it, or should we internally map it and, through %u in .desktop
files, tell applications to load
tag:kde.org:fish://root@remoteserver/filename ?

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

2. Tó cennan his weorc gearu, ymbe se circolwyrde, wearð se cægbord and se
leohtspeccabord, and þa mýs cómon lator. On þone dæg, he hine reste.