debug libs (Re: KDE/kdelibs/cmake/modules)

Benjamin Reed rangerrick at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 19:47:57 GMT 2006

On 2/28/06, David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 February 2006 19:23, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > SVN commit 514550 by neundorf:
> >
> > -set CMAKE_DEBUG_POSTFIX to "_debug", this has the effect that when doing a debug build e.g. kdecore will be named "libkdecore_debug.so"
>
> Hmm. Hmm. Do we really want that, on unix?

if this does what I think it does, it won't work on OSX either, debug
libraries are inside the framework bundle, so it's named the same
either way.

The framework contains:

  Foo.framework/Versions/Current/Headers
  Foo.framework/Versions/Current/Headers/foo.h
  Foo.framework/Versions/Current/Foo
  Foo.framework/Versions/Current/Foo_debug
  Foo.framework/Versions/Current/Foo_profile

where "Foo", "Foo_debug", and "Foo_profile" are the normal, debug, and
profiling versions of the framework, respectively.

If you were to just turn all "-framework Foo"'s into "-framework
Foo_debug"'s, it wouldn't work.  You instead set the environment
variable DYLD_IMAGE_SUFFIX to "_debug".  If dyld can't find the
framework with _debug at the end, it falls back to the non-debug one.