A look at GNOME 2.14, comparison to KDE

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Feb 22 21:28:57 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 14:15, Anders Lund wrote:
> Yet an idea: allow specifying sides for the frame.

that's certainly one possibility. would be nice in a number of other
situations also.

would require some modifications to qframe, obviously. will pass it by some TT
people and see what they think.

> > personally, i'm fine with people being able to mess up their desktop by
> > installing new add-ons, flipping on odd configuration options or hacking
> > the code directly. (we can't prevent it, anyways =) what matters to me
> > are the defaults and, with KDE4, "HIG compliant" components / add-ons.
>
> Eh, what does that have to do with this topic?

that these things do not look Perfect with all styles, and probably never
will. that there are ways to degrade the look 'n feel by turning on/off
certain features via the config dialogs.

it allows us to sidestep issues like "if there were lines on the splitters
then.." because we can simply mandate "splitters must (or must not) have
border lines".

--
Aaron J. Seigo