A look at GNOME 2.14, comparison to KDE

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Feb 22 19:57:35 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 02:05, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> It would be nice if applications were tested with a variety of styles.
> Maybe a test with the default style and a weird (but useful) style like
> "HighContrast" would be a useful routine.

the challenge is that it's really not possible to make everything look good in
every style. that's the power of having a HIG that covers these kinds of
issues: it allows us to say "these styles are all compliant with the HIG, and
therefore things should look good with them" and "these style are no HIG
compliant, so they may not look great with every app or situation". this
separations gives us a defined list of styles that we can then check against,
and people who use those styles can then rightfully file bugs against apps
that may look good in HIG-compliant style A, but broken in HIG-compliant
style B. we may only end up with a few HIG-compliant styles, and that's ok.
at least we'll have a defined set of styles to work towards "looking good"

--
Aaron J. Seigo