Elektra backend for KDE

Avi Alkalay avi at alkalay.net
Mon Feb 20 16:57:10 GMT 2006

On 2/20/06, Thomas Braxton <brax108 at cox.net> wrote:

> On Monday 20 February 2006 09:45, Avi Alkalay wrote:
> > Thomas, how far is this new API from being accepted in the official
> source
> > ?
> At the moment, it is only me and Aaron working on it, but if we want to
> implement any other backends for KDE4, then something like this will have
> be done, because the current KConfigBase/KConfig assume entirely too much
> about the file format.

When we started to rethink Elektra with multiple backends, a lot in the
interfaces had to change to acomodate a more generical approach. This is
normal and you only have the chance to make it right when you have the
chance to use many different technologies.

> As a side note, on Elektra there are no config files. So maybe this
> methods
> > should be renamed to something like retrieveConfigResource() and
> > saveConfigResource().
> > A filename can be a configuration root, etc, so we can use them the way
> > they are today anyway.
> Would these "resources" be a group of key/value pairs? If yes, then I
> don't
> see a problem with renaming the functions. If not, then what would they
> be?

Your current interface would fit, though the method names only don't make
much sense. Thats a minor issue.

On elektra we have Keys and KeySets. A Key (and its value) is something like

system/sw/xorg/InputDevices/Mouse0/Options/Device: /dev/input/mice

While a KeySet can be all keys under system/sw/xorg
Check here for more examples:
http://www.libelektra.org/Overview/examples.html

So the idea for the backend is to map Elektra Keys and KeySets to KConfig's
keys. Then we have to solve how to make kiosk, etc.

Or download the very-graphical-presentation I made in KDE's event in
Ludwigsburg in 2004:
http://www.libelektra.org/Download/elektra.sxi

Regards,
Avi