Date/time class changes to handle extended date ranges

R.F. Pels ruurd at tiscali.nl
Mon Feb 20 11:13:29 GMT 2006

On Monday 20 February 2006 11.29, Inge Wallin wrote:

>> Again: if there is a disconnect between the implication of the name KDate
>> and its real functionality, don't call the class KDate. If the new class
>> cannot guarantee conversion without error, don't offer the conversion. It
>> confuses the people that are going to work with that class and draw a
>> couple of conclusions based on among others the Q->K convention.
>
> Frankly, I don't get your problem.  KDate is an *extension* to QDate, i.e.
> it can do more.

If KDate would be a specialization of QDate extension of the contract breaks
the Liskov Substitution Principle. If it is not, I cannot use the class as a
dropin replacement and a disconnect exists that is not reflected in the name
'KDate'.

> If you are using KDate in your program there is no reason to ever convert it
> to a QDate since you have KDate available.  If you don't use KDate, you
> won't get the conversion problem ever.

Then what is the use of the name KDate? Or even adding a class with that name
to kdecore?

--
R.F. Pels,  3e Rompert 118,  5233 AL  's-Hertogenbosch,  The Netherlands
+31736414590        ruurd at tiscali.nl       http://home.tiscali.nl/~ruurd