RPATH for installed binaries ?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Feb 19 12:06:12 GMT 2006

David Faure wrote:
>The utopia of "it works out of the box", which was the idea of using
> RPATH, is clearly an utopia; a custom prefix does not work out of the
> box anyway.

Yes, it does. At all times I have 2 full KDE installations
in /usr/local/kde3-r<subversion-revision>, plus a partial installation of
the distribution's KDE in /usr.

All I do to get KDE working is set PATH. If I want the
distribution-provided resources, I set KDEDIRS too.

If I just want to run a simple KDE application from ssh or run "dcop" from
console, all I have to do is type its full name.

From ~/.xsession:
KDEDIR=/usr/local/kde3
KDEDIRS=$KDEDIR:/usr
PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
export KDEDIR KDEDIRS PATH
unset XDG_DATA_DIR XDG_CONFIG_HOME
exec $KDEDIR/bin/startkde

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

4. And æfter se scieppend ingelogode, he wrát "cenn", ac eala! se
rihtendgesamnung andswarode "cenn: ne wát hú cennan 'eall'. Ástynt."