RPATH for installed binaries ?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Feb 19 10:10:12 GMT 2006

On Saturday 18 February 2006 02:25, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> Anyway: the point is that RPATH provides a level of convenience (and a level
> of safety because users typically do install equally versioned shared objects
> in multiple paths quite frequently) that can solve a lot of trouble.

Let's make sure we're talking about KDE here, and now about "rpath in binaries or shared libs in general."

If users install "equally versioned shared objects in multiple paths", like two versions
of kdelibs 3.x in different paths, how can they actually use those two versions of
kdelibs, if not by setting KDEDIR(s) to point to the one they want to use?
And if they have to set KDEDIR, don't they have to set PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH as well?
(Maybe we could provide a script that encapsulates it all...   kde-set-prefix <prefix>.)