docbook writers: please no empty para's

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Thu Feb 16 13:06:48 GMT 2006

On Thursday 16 February 2006 11:33, Erik K. Pedersen wrote:
> Torsdag den 16. februar 2006 07:28 skrev Lauri Watts:
> > On Wednesday 15 February 2006 22:24, Erik K. Pedersen wrote:
> > > With "to be written" it is ok
> >
> > It's ok from a "makes the docbook compile" point of view.  From a useful
> > documentation for users to read, it's _horrible_
>
> I guess I would agree with that, would it not be a solution not to write
> <para></para> ?

That's not valid either, in fact, that's the reason for most of the empty
para's showing up: people put placeholder chapters/sections/listitems there,
and never write the docs to go in them, and these elements require content to
be valid.

For the example given, you'd have to comment out the entire <listitem> (or if
it's in a varlistentry, comment that out)

The really best solution is to fill in the para with some actual content, or
not put empty sections in the doc in the first place.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org