Build broken by recent svn checkin

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Feb 14 13:27:19 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 14:06, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14. February 2006 13:37, Stephan Kulow wrote:
>
> > As soon as cmake is good enough for UNIX builds I'd remove all auto* from
> > kdelibs - and find solutions e.g. for apidox and "make messages" indepedent
> > of the build system (we might want to reintegrate later)
>
> So we decide to drop one build system before we know which one to use?

I think we know which one to use by now.

For those who haven't followed the discussions on kde-buildsystem:
- bksys development has stopped after finding critical issues in scons,
and many missing features in scons+bksys. Thomas Nagy has send a mail
saying that he would keep working on his scons replacement called "waf",
but this is rather in its infancy at the moment, and since he can't use svn
(no real internet access), this won't fit into the kde4 time frame.
Basically the bksys solution has become "writing our own build system" (which
is something we wanted to avoid for kde4, preferring to rely on an -existing-
and maintained build system), and reliance on one person to work on the
build system, which we wanted to avoid even more.
- On the other hand the cmake solution is making much progress and is very
well supported by the cmake developers - who actually joined kde-buildsystem
and are very dedicated to helping us with deploying it for kde.

So unless someone comes forward quickly with a better solution using
something else (?), cmake looks like the best solution for kde4.

I think Stephan means that we should concentrate on cmake and once
it builds kdelibs for everyone, we can clean up auto* and bksys from it.