Fwd: KCalc - Modulo Function

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Mon Feb 13 15:16:58 GMT 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Gunnar Schmi Dt wrote:
> Both "-7 mod 3 = -1" and "-7 mod 3 = 2" are correct. If I read the mail
> from the original author correctly he requests that "-7 mod 3 = 1", which
> is mathematically wrong.

No, he wants it to be -1, matching the sign of (-7), which is what Windows
does. Given that -1 = 2 (mod 3) it's moot anyway in a mathematical sense.
In any case, one can argue for one choice or the other till one is blue in
the face -- it's a matter of definition anyway.

Anyone going to reply to the OP (prefereably with sender
evariste.galois at hotmail.com) ?