cmake hype?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Feb 3 12:03:58 GMT 2006

Gregory Hayes wrote:
>I can agree with that sentiment ;) Three different build systems is just
>asking for trouble down the line. Regardless of which build system is
>chosen, there needs to be a single "standard" methodology for building.
> Once this is resolved, we need to align our quality team documentation
> so we are all working off the same page.

We will have only one official buildsystem for KDE4.

In Málaga, we had decided for Scons. But cmake is progressing fast too. If
cmake delivers and Scons doesn't, we'll use that.

We haven't yet, but we'll eventually reach a point when we'll have to
switch the official from unsermake Makefile.am to something else (or
not). THAT's what application developers will have to maintain. Until
then, they maintain Makefile.am files.

From that point forwards, any other buildsystems will be maintained out of
trunk, by whoever wants to work on them.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

3. Ac seo woruld wearð geborod, swá se Scieppend cwæð "Gewurde Unix" and
wundor fremede and him "Unix" genemned, þæt is se rihtendgesamnung.