Status of i10n calls on KDE4

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Thu Dec 28 10:50:42 GMT 2006

> [: Krzysztof Lichota :]
> Why JavaScript? Has there been any further discussions apart from what
> has been talked about on kde-i18n-doc?

In the first discussion about this on k-c-d (in September 2005, some time
after the big discussion on kde-i18n-doc), people pointed to KJS being an
excellent candidate, because it is lightweight and comes free of external
dependencies. And since scripting should be a rare thing, the choice of
language shouldn't matter that much.

But then I still have to look into this JavaScript stuff, which I somehow
do not find interesting by itself. So I don't know whether to be happy or
sad if kdecore dependency on kjsembed is not to be allowed -- then an
external interpreter would be one of optional dependencies of kdelibs (it
needs not be present, as any scripted message would have its "boring"
counterpart).

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)