Proposal: Integration of libKMetaData into kdelibs

Hubert Figuiere hubertf at xandros.com
Mon Dec 18 17:38:02 GMT 2006

Cyrille Berger wrote:

> Any plan on supporting exif and xmp ? And anything on the gui side, like an
> editor of the metadata ?

Just support XMP and make sure that includes legacy metadata (Exif,
IIM/IPTC) and you are set.  :-)
I have been investigating XMP support for quite sometime and there do
not seem to be any decent library out there.

Gimp has some code, but it is Gtk specific.
Exiv2 could be promising but it is GPL which is not OK according to the
license policy for KDE Libs.
Adobe's XMP sdk is somewhat complete, but the license is non obvious and
I think incompatible with GPL if open source at all.

In short no ready to use solution. If anyone want to get started on that
I have a pretty good idea on what should be done[1]

Hub

[1] actually it is sort of in my pipe to start working on that to
support metadata in libopenraw