dbus+Service name+error

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Dec 19 22:15:42 GMT 2006

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>seems like we're abusing one namespace (web urls) to populate another
> (dbus methods). there really isn't any meaningful correspondence
> between the two as you've shown with the kmid example.

I beg to differ.

There is a relationship: the service names are globally unique and stem
from the DNS hierarchy. So, the only way for KMyApplication to be allowed
to use org.kde.kmyapplication is if and only if kmyapplication.kde.org is
reserved to THAT application. (It doesn't have to have a webpage at that
address or even resolve, but it must be reserved)

This means each application with org.kde.XXXX automatically reserves such
XXXX under kde.org.

Like I said, it's possible to have a homepage URL completely different
from the organizationDomainName. But the best default we can have is the
webpage.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358