dbus+Service name+error

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Tue Dec 19 17:22:31 GMT 2006

Am Dienstag, 19. Dezember 2006 18:06 schrieb Laurent Montel:
> But when it's personal application.
> For example kalarm has personal web site.
> I don't know if he wants to move it on kde.org.
> Is it not possible to put by default "org.kde." and allow to force specific
> service name if guy wants to use own specific service name ?

This seems to be less an issue of personal homepages and more of having a
decent policy of interfaces and namespaces in KDE. I don't see a 1:1
relationship between web sites and namespaces in this case. As we have many
other occurrences of similar problems (especially with XML files which are
included with KDE), I'd say that we should have some guidelines on how
to "make up" namespaces in a way which is forward-compatible as much as
possible.

One suggestion (to make a start) would be to use namespaces.kde.org/stable/...
for XML which could be used as org.kde.namespaces.foo for d-bus if this
really needs to be in dotted-string notation.
Maybe we could also look at URNs. Independent of the result, any guidelines is
certainly better than no guidelines, which is the present situation.

The 'stable' part already hints at guaranteeing a certain compatibility across
releases should be part of the guidelines.

Parsing appinfo for the dbus interface is insane. It reverts
design-by-contract to design-by-code.

Josef