New special effects library

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Tue Dec 19 13:15:03 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 19 December 2006 07:53, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> here! here! we should be more boring and serious! it's not like we market
> our development platform to anyone, after all. programmers are just dorks
> who do what they are told.

yeah, i know, they need cool names not cool technologies to be able to do
anything.

> besides, it's best if we try and blend in with the corporates by trying to
> be just like them: boring and obvious. i mean, look at the market: Qt
> ("cute"), Cocoa, Spotlight, dotNet ... yeah, they are so serious slash
> obvious it hurts.
>
> such serious naming also reflects our culture best too. last thing i'd want
> to do is have some fun and enjoy working with our stuff.

Said the man who even blogged about him having a problem with the Poppler
name? Come on, I fully respect people's right to name their software whatever
they want. I don't like library names that don't reflect what they do in some
pretty obvious way, if you do then at least be consistant in that and not
fall into "KDE doing it - good! Others doing it - bad!" mentality.

> p.s. people ask me on a regular basis what "WebKit" is. so even obvious
> names aren't.

Actually they are, just not to you and you are not their target audience. Sets
of particular technologies are marked with Kit prefix on OSX. AppKit, WebKit
are just examples of it. So this is a uniform scheme across a environment -
in this case OSX environment.

> p.p.s. name your lib whatever you want, but i'd suggest holding back on
> commenting on the straw in other people's eyes.

i thought i just did that.