Revisiting uiserver

Rafael Fernández López ereslibre at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 15:07:25 GMT 2006

Hi !,

As some of you know (because of IRC), I've been writing rewriting the
uiserver for getting advantage of the model/view/delegate. The screenshot is
at http://www.ereslibre.es/kdedev/screenshot.png. The delegate still needs
some polishing, and for "easy to read" reasons probably i will have to
rewrite it from stratch, since the one i wrote is a bit tricky, and lots of
values hard-coded.

Well, the main reason of because I write here is to know what would you
expect from it, and if you think there can be more improvements that could
be implemented.

The other reason is next one:

The rewriting of this came to my head as an idea of kde-look:
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=33673, and the suggestion
of David Faure to do so.

It's necessary to make some mechanism to let apps add the buttons they want
to the delegate, so it can show own action buttons for the job in progress.
On the other hand, uiserver is an app that doesn't know anything about jobs
or things like that, and that will know everything about the outter world
through dbus. My idea of adding those buttons (and actions), was the next:

1. The observer should have a SIGNAL with two parameters (the int
identifying the jobId and the int identifying the action performed). That
signal would be emitted when an action is performed, informing the app that
added the action about which action was performed, and letting that app
doing the corresponding action depending on which jobId is linked with the
action.

2. The app calls (for example) Observer::self()->addAction(myJobId, "Stop
Burning CD", 0 /* int that will be returned when this action is performed
*/); So now, the action number is in some relation with the jobId. When the
signal is emitted, the app should check if the jobId of the signal matches
any jobId that the app launched. If so, it *really* executes the proper
action.

Bye,
Rafael Fernández López.