New special effects library

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 07:07:07 GMT 2006

Hello Zack,

Very cool.  I think we need a better name for this stuff  "KImageFX"
is so KDE 3.x.  Perhaps we could pinch the Apple naming scheme (with a
common prefix, they use "Core" although we couldn't do that obviously,
followed by the area which the library relates to, eg. "Hardware",
"Audio", "Effects") - this has a couple of advantages, it would tell
you immediately that the library was part of KDE and what it does.  If
you get the prefix right it sounds cool too.

The design is neat.  I spotted a small flaw in the current
implementation.  The provided effects work directly on the image of a
layer, retrieved using layer.image().  However if the layer is created
from a pixmap source then the underlying pixmap is not modified by the
filter's apply method and so when you use layer.toPixmap() to retrieve
the output you get the original input pixmap without the effect
applied.

Regards,
Robert.