general kio slave for reading embedded files

Jos van den Oever jvdoever at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 18:42:35 GMT 2006

2006/12/16, John Tapsell <johnflux at gmail.com>:
> I don't know if it's worth worrying about, but this could fight with
> the filesystem.
>
> Some filesystems (reiserfs, any others?)  let you go into  a.zip  as a
> directory as well as a file.
Do you have some urls to back this up? I've not heard of it.
And how many file types are supported (email attachments, rpm, deb)?
How deep inside files can they look? What is the memory usage?

The current kioslave implementation is very efficient. It is stream
based and has a constant memory footprint which is independent of the
file opened. For performance reasons there is a cache for filenames in
the kioslave, but this should never grow very large.

Cheers,
Jos