Color manipulation functions in kdelibs?

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Thu Dec 14 11:23:35 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 13 December 2006 16:15, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > The core of your blending appears CompositionMode_Over.
>
> Mainly (although also needing to do blends in non-RGB color space).

Interesting. Why?

> > The whole code is in qdrawhelper[_x86].cpp. I'm not sure whether it
> > really makes sense to export those low-level functions to be used outside
> > QPainter. I'm certainly open to reasons as to why it should be though :)
>
> No, because there are also accessibility/usability needs here, I still
> think it is best to put the color composing aspects of what we've been
> talking about in kdelibs rather than Qt.

Why?

>  Plus I am (now ;-)) interested in additional modes that AFAICS QPainter
>  does not cover.

Why?

> I stand by my original opinion that there should be a kdelibs class
> (meaning, a collection of static member functions) to handle this part.

I think the core problem here is that I (and others) just don't see the use
cases. So can you show me the use cases - code that uses this in KDE that
makes it clear that this needs to be in kdelibs and not Qt and needs
additional color spaces (both the application code and autotests).

> What about HLS/HSY in QColor? :-)

Lets do the above before we talk about this.