Color manipulation functions in kdelibs?

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Wed Dec 13 09:52:05 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 14:56, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Cyrille Berger wrote:
> >> Otherwise, what do other
> >> people think about putting Pigment in kdelibs?
> >
> > I don't want to guarantee ABI and ABI stability (nor can I, with the
> > current design, and the changes to make that possible have not been
> > approved), so pigment in kdelibs is not an option for now.
>
> Ok, that makes sense. What about my other idea; if I wrote KColor as
> discussed, do you think that Pigment might want to make use of that?
> Would it be possible/reasonable to do things so that this hypothetical
> KColor would support additional color spaces in a dynamic manner? Or
> would it be better to limit KColor to sRGB space (with support for
> alternate representations of the same, i.e. HLS/HSV)?

Why would you need KColor? It just creates unnecessary maintenance burden on
you . If there's something QColor doesn't do just report it and someone will
implement it.
Everything I've seen you mention is already there, what I'd like to add, that
hasn't been even mentioned so far, is 16bpc support to QColor for hdr
imaging, everything else is trivial.