Proposal: unified input method/keyboard layout switching support for kde4

Andriy Rysin arysin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 23:30:17 GMT 2006

2006/12/11, LiuCougar <liucougar at gmail.com>:

> Hi All,
> I am the author of skim (SCIM for KDE, an input method which supports
> more than 30 languages, see http://www.scim-im.org ).
>
> I'd like to propose that KDE4 includes a similar app (let's name it
> KDEINPUT for now) in its basic package (maybe kdebase?) which provides
> not only an input method platform, but also multi-keyboard layout
> switching capacity (and handwriting recognition in future).

I had an impression that there's work happening on integrating SCIM with
libxklavier which kxkb plans to use (now xklavier is used for configuration
parsing but I was planning to reuse layout switching too). If work for
merging SCIM and libxklavier is successful we'll get more universal way of
switching layouts/input methods in KDE, GNOME and any other environment
which uses libxklavier.

Andriy