Color manipulation functions in kdelibs?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Dec 12 07:01:46 GMT 2006

On Monday 11 December 2006 23:52, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Clarence Dang wrote:
> > [adding Krita people to CC as I'm sure they have more to say]
>
> Good idea, although it occurs to me that Krita will probably want to
> have its own set of functions, specifically so they can handle things
> like 16-bit color (and - can I hope? - 32-bit FP color a.k.a. HDR
> color). But you are right that they might have suggestions.

Krita already handles HDR pretty well. Krita's underlying color library,
Pigment, has just been moved into koffice libs, instead of being Krita
specific. It's no more than a day work to create a basic new colorspace for
Pigment, maybe a little longer if you want all fancy blending modes, a little
longer still of there is no icc profile possible for the colorspace you're
implementing. All colorspaces except Lab and 8-bit alpha are plugins.

> It also occurs to me that we should probably expose things like
> 'desaturate', 'colorize', etc; i.e. all the things the icon effects do.
> Although I expect these would mostly be convenience wrappers for
> particular permutations of blend*/lighten/darken.

Pigment has got those already.

If people think that Pigment would be more generally useful then it may be a
good idea to put it in kdelibs, or make it a completely separate library.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi