Request to add formatInterval to klocale

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Dec 10 20:14:46 GMT 2006

On Sunday 10 December 2006 15:42, John Tapsell wrote:
> What about 1.01 hours  etc?  Can that be translated from   "%1 hours"
> okay?

What is 1.01 hours? What is the use case for displaying such an amount
of time? I'm beginning to think that it's not worth putting something
like this into the core libraries because every developer will need
something slightly different. I for one would display 3636000
milliseconds as "1 hour and 36 seconds" or "60 minutes and 36 seconds"
or "60.6 minutes" or "1:00:36" but never as "1.01 hours". 0.01 hours
means nothing to me. Only after converting it to seconds I can actually
work with it.

So, what's your use case for displaying an amount of time as a decimal
number?

You should probably ask the usability people about the best way to
display a fractional amount of time.

Regards,
Ingo