KMultiActionButton

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Dec 7 14:19:14 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 06 December 2006 16:34, Florian Graessle wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote On 05.12.2006 22:59 Uhr:
> In Okular I had the same idea to group the different tool modes. There
> we have four different tool modes that all have a separate toolbar icon.
> As of now each tool has its own label:
>
>  *Browse Tool
>  *Zoom Tool
>  *Select Tool
>  *Text Selection Tool

why does every action end with "Tool"? isn't "Browse", "Zoom", "Select"
and "Select Text" enough?

>  (because of space issues you actually won't find
> this one in the current okular toolbar)

which is a bit odd since text selection is probably the more common selection
action, no?

>  1. Group the tools visually - just like you proposed above
>  2. Give the group of actions one common label, e.g. "Tools" or "Tool
> Mode" (like Apple's Preview does. See [1]). This would shrink the
> toolbar size to a usable level and still make use of the "text under
> icons" setting.
>  3. Use tooltips to show the label of each tool action, show what each
> tool does.

this sounds like a decent plan. how to accomplish it is another question ;) if
we use QActionGroups to denote the groupings, perhaps we could (ab)use the
objectName property for this such that if it is set the style could use that
name instead of the individual button names. might be tricky though since it
would need to position the text under all the buttons while each button is
drawn separately.

this certainly is where having a widget for this would be nice, e.g. a
toolbutton that shows its multiple actions on the toplevel instead of
creating a menu out of them.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se