RFC: Splitting Qt4 packages and implications of this

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Tue Dec 5 17:13:34 GMT 2006

Am Freitag, 1. Dezember 2006 19:59 schrieb Jarosław Staniek:
> We know the benefits of having splitted Qt4 into gui and nongui libs.
> Now, the question is: what's up at the packaging level?

Since others already answered to the packaging part of this thread, let me
pick up the "implication" from the topic and ask to which level we want
kdelibs to be modular enough to match Qt's modularity. Right now when I
compile kdelibs against qt-embedded it already bails out early because no
session management stuff can be found. Of course I don't even want session
management in this case if I only use kdelibs to get better libraries instead
of aiming at perfect desktop integration. Similarly, a "normal" Qt without
dbus would also not work even if there are many cases where one doesn't want
dbus at all.
Since kdelibs is already stuffed with #ifdefs until no good, what is the
feeling on trying to still make it compile in this cases and only provide the
functionality which is available from the dependencies together with some
warnings for the average users?

Josef