KAction changes

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Sun Dec 3 23:29:00 GMT 2006

Hi,

KAction currently inherits from QAction and extends it by a few properties,
along with plenty of compatibility API. KAction is also the type used in all
of our public API and that is unfortunately a problem. It means that it is
not possible to use for example QDockWidget's toggleViewAction or
QUndoStack's created actions in KDE APIs, such as KActionCollection, because
all those methods require a KAction. For no good reason we (that's Kévin and
me) think.

So as a result Kévin removed most of the KAction usage in our public API (in
branches/work/kaction-cleanup-branch) and we ported most of the modules
already (in the same branch). It turns out to require only very few changes
in application code, and in most parts it actually cleans up the code by
replacing for example deprecated plug() calls with the proper addAction()
calls.

So we could like to merge those changes back into trunk, hopefully soon (maybe
tomorrow evening?). The changes don't mean that KAction goes away (at least
not directly), it merely makes our public API more consistent with Qt and
more compatible as well.

Does anybody have any additional input, objections or thoughts on this?

Simon