RFC: Making focus information visible for panes

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Dec 1 00:33:57 GMT 2006

On Thursday 30 November 2006 21:39, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> >KMail is a particularly bad example for this because KMail is
> > focus-less by design (safe for a few bugs). In KMail always the
> > main window has the focus. The downside of this is that one can't
> > use the up/down arrow keys for navigating in the message list pane
> > because up/down scrolls the message in the preview pane.
>
> It also prevents one from using the Left/Right arrow keys to navigate
> the menubar (after pressing Alt). Or any of the keys that are
> assigned to a shortcut.

I said that there are a few bugs, didn't I? And FWIW, IIRC then the
problem with the menubar navigation has never been reported.

BTW, at least here pressing Alt doesn't seem to have any effect while a
KLineEdit or a KEdit has focus. Noticed in KMail's composer and
verified in Konqueror.

Regards,
Ingo