Patch on ksnapshot

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Aug 29 17:21:08 BST 2006

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 1:21, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > and Open With into a graphics app and printing from there wouldn't
> > do?
>
> That's obviously many more additional steps.

</obviously>

think about optimizing code: you don't optimize for the case that happens 1%
of the time if it creates poor performance the rest of the 99% of the time.
if you have to choose between 1% being ok and 99% being great or 99% being ok
and 1% being great, what do you pick?

same thing.

if 1% of the people using ksnapshot use it to print and 99% of the people
don't, then what should we optimize for? if we try and cater to each 1% use
case we'll end up with a cluttered interface that sucks for 99% or people.
it's the same phenom when one tries to optimize for only the top 10% of use
cases in a UI: it ends up sucking for more than 90% of users.

i'm suggesting that for our global user base saying that printer, etc is
better provided via an external application. yep, it won't be Best for a
certain small % of our users but it should be Workable and it'll help prevent
Suckage for the rest.

there are a lot of place in kde where similar application of principles would
result in noticeable improvement.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Undulate Your Wantonness