Something for Solid ? Was: Application maintainerships

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Thu Aug 24 10:05:34 BST 2006

On Monday, 14. August 2006 18:20, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > Just as a side note, mtools was terrible in my experience.  It seems to
> > reaccess the floppy every time instead of using any kind of read caching
> > and it doesn't mix well with the ordinary mounting mechanism.
>
> Of course, mtools is uncached and independent of the normal file system.
> That is the whole concept of mtools and permits to work anywhere in many
> Unix-like OS where you can access a raw device.

Yes, and that's an advantage, too, since any user who can access a block
device or image file(!) can access its contents.  That is *not* possible with
the mount approach.

I.e. I recently backed up some dozens of floppy disks in order to free some
space in my apartment (the reverse process of back then when I created the
disks to free space on my HD.. ;-) ) and it would be cool if I could access
their contents with e.g. "floppy:/home/hans/Disk-Images/nortoncommander.img"
which would be possible with the mtools approach.

Ciao, /  /
     /--/
    /  / ANS