[RFC] Future of Qt translations in KDE4

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Mon Aug 21 20:50:27 BST 2006

Currently for KDE4 (in tradition of KDE3), mosts of Qt's translatable messages
are extracted (manually) for KDE and put by Scripty into the translation
template kdelibs.pot, so that the translators can translate those messages in
their respective kdelibs.po translation file (which is then compile in the
respective binary (GNU MO) format kdelibs.gmo).

On the other side, Qt4 (as Qt3 does too) expects the translation in the Qt
Linguist format and its respective binary format (which is of course not GNU
MO). In Qt4's source, there are a few translations, however in much less
languages than KDE has languages.

Therefore we have currently an hybrid situation: Qt expects its translation in
its format but when KDE needs translation from a message from Qt it gets it
from its own translation.

So the question is how we are do it in KDE4?

A few possible solutions:
- we force Qt's format and point translators to Trolltech for not-yet-existing
translations. (This is not a translator-friendly situation).
- we force Qt's format, however KDE translators can add a translation file for
Qt in Qt format inside KDE in case the language is not supported by KDE.
(Question: how KDE compiles this file into binary format. How is Qt going to
find that file?)
- we use a hook in Qt to force translations in KDE's format. Question:does Qt
support such a thing? Probably not!
- we keep the current hybrid situation, with risk of untranslated messages for
language not supported in Qt4's source.

Notes:
- KBabel is supposed to support editing Qt Linguist files. However it was
probably not tested in reality.
- Also other PO file editor have no Qt Linguist mode and therefore translators
using such editors would need to use the original Qt Linguist to translate a
Qt Linguist file.

Have a nice day!