KAssistant announcement

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Mon Aug 14 10:57:27 BST 2006

Le lundi 14 août 2006 11:46, Thomas Zander a écrit :
> On Sunday 13 August 2006 23:38, Jarosław Staniek wrote:
> > Why?
> >
> > "Assistant" name is already used in translatable strings instead of
> > "Wizard" here and there.
>
> I don't mind at all that the class is renamed, but I'd like to say
> something that I think should be obvious when pointed out.
>
> The classname should have zero effect on the way things are presented to
> our users. They don't see classnames any more then they see design
> patterns.

That's in a perfect world.
In real world, when a developper is used to a class name, it will use that
word in the gui to name it (unless there is a strong policy the developper is
aware,  but most of the time the developper is not aware)
That's one of the reason why the API naming is important.  We should use in
the API the same terms as those used in the GUI

> I'm sure there will be programmers that still use the string 'wizard' for
> some time to come. We can't stop all of them.
> Perhaps a good solution is to come to an agreement between all the
> translator coordinators that Wizard is translated to 'assistant' in such
> languages where there is no good literal translation.

The real question is about English here.
In the English language, do you better say "Assistant" or "Wizard" ?

I'm not one English speaker, so i don't know the answer at all.
But if the answer is "Assistant",  then, the class name should be changed
(to KAssistantDialog IMO)
Anyway, if "Wizard" is the perfect term to name such assistant, then the class
name will stay KWizard

--
Olivier